Race day is always early, exciting, slightly terrifying, and so much fun not much can keep me away!!! These are my 10 MUST haves to make it easier and less stressful!
- Sunglasses. I usually do early runs so when I head out its usually dark however the sun will be making an appearance way before I am ready to head home and you all know how I feel about aging ungracefully!
- ! My absolute favorite are the ones I pick up at random races in the shopping sections they are usually excellent non slip and mine all say funny things.
- , running belt, whatever you want to call it. I am in no way trying to carry a bag and I will definitely need a place for keys, phone and credit card for that after race shopping!
- . Thigh rub is a thing when you are a big girl and I see no reason to let it ruin my day. Most of mine come from Lane Bryant as I like to try them on and they typically have an excellent selection.
- Compression and/or running specific socks like these. Depending on how my legs are feeling the day before I choose one or the other the night before!
- Good quality sports bra, that is high impact. [Editor’s note: As a fat girl who likes to wiggle it just a little bit, I have to second the notion of a quality sports bra. I love these Enell bras. ~Steph] Having sore shoulders, rubbing under the girls etc is to be avoided at all costs and while I don’t full out run very often as you can imagine these things are a potential problem from even the lightest jogging.
- Good running shoes! I can not stress this enough!!! Especially if you are a big girl! I wear my shoes for around 8-12 months but ONLY for my races. I wear something else for any other activity that would require sneakers. I know this can be pricey but it is super important to take care of your feet.
- I also wear my knee braces as well even if I am having a good knee day.
- and . Because I like to be comfortable and not sunburned!
- Last but not least is my bestie! We have been running together for years now and I cant imagine I would have stuck with it as long if she didn’t do it with me. I mean, our after race taco tradition is reason enough to show up at races, but she is also encouraging and always has my back!
Because I usually do early races which can mean a a 5am wake up call (not a morning person, guys!), I set all of this out the night before to help speed everything up in the morning.
So, what about you? Do you do races? Got some favorite gear to share? Let us know in the comments.