“Wait Kung Fu is a real thing?” Not the craziest thing I have been asked.
“YOU do Kung Fu????” Why yes, yes I do.
“Isn’t Kung Fu for people who are, you know, more fit?” Why you little…..
But I digress. Kung Fu absolutely is a real thing. Yes, I do it anywhere from 4-7 days a week, and while yes, being fit is helpful, it is not by any means hindering you from giving it a chance! In fact, there are people who are considerably more fit than I am and are also levels behind me in technique. IT IS NOT ABOUT THAT! For me, it started as a request from my husband to learn some self defense after a couple of sketchy encounters while out with girlfriends. It has turned into a passion, and for the first time in my life, a type of fitness where I TRULY feel like I am the kick ass babe I always tell myself I am! Big win right there, ladies!
“So how do I look into this awesome thing you speak of?????”
First let’s talk about why you are interested. It matters, and you are gonna want to be super honest with yourself in order to find a good fit for you!
- Is this about fitness?
- Is it about culture?
- Self defense?
- Self esteem?
- What do you think Martial Arts are good for?
- What are your expectations?
- What is the time frame you want? 6 months for self defense or fitting in more fitness, maybe it becomes a lifetime thing?
There are different styles of Kung Fu so my suggestion if you are interested is to seek out local places and go watch a class and ask yourself the following:
- Do you feel like what they are doing is something you want to do?
- Does it look hard and scary or fun and empowering?
- Do they offer free classes to give it a chance?
- How is the vibe in the room?
- Talk to the instructor, Sifu etc and see how well you connect with them.
- Ask to specifically see their self defense. (I’m not interested in self defense you say? YES, you are because I said so! Not to mention that every female over the age of 12 should know how to do more than kick you in the shin and run. I had a VERY specific encounter that had happened in a bar once that was scary, and when I used it as an example of why I was looking into martial arts, my Sifu immediately showed me how to make that stop if it ever happened again. That was when I decided this was so for me and signed right up!)
Personally, I am interested in good technique and being true to the art, BUT the biggest factor for me is the community you can feel as soon as you enter the school. I am WAY too social to just learn to kick you in the face and leave. I want to chat, make friends etc. I am now in a place where I am a FOR REAL kick ass babe and am constantly working at it! My biggest challenge as a big girl doing Kung Fu is finding pants that fit and time in my social calendar for all of the new friends I have made!
My particular style is Seven Star Praying Mantis, if you were wondering! And FYI, I wear black yoga pants to class because those dang pants are uncomfortable AF anyways!
My bag is full to the brim with love, laughter, and good times! I am an adventurer, a warrior, and a badass. On my best days, I am also a wife, a mother, a friend and more than a little crazy!
I work hard to live out loud. I have numbered days, and I have things to say and a plan to say them loudly. Going quietly in the night is going to have to be some other broad’s MO.
I’M COMING FOR EVERYTHING THEY SAID I COULDN’T HAVE!
We use affiliate links. These never add to your cost, but they do allow us to pay the bills to keep this thing going. Read more here.